Software development activities can be managed and taken care with different life cycle models. These life cycle models has became legacy since few years. Few of the available Software Development Life Cycle Models in short SDLC are Win-Win Model and Waterfall Model etc.
In SDLC, the above stages are freezed one after the other. If developer is in Design phase and realized that there could be a possibility of change in requirements, then it is not possible to go back one phase and fix in Requirement phase.
These scenarios and use cases has brought Agility in to existence in software development activities.
Agility in English:
Agility means "able to move quickly and easily". Being agile in software development makes the development move or progressed quick enough and flexible to go back and forth through out the development phases and complete the activities on time.
Agile is the ability to create and respond to change. It is a way of dealing with and ultimately succesing in an uncertain environment. Agile methodology has different subsets also called as frameworks.
SCRUM and Kanban are few among others. These frameworks can be adapted as process solutions based upon different development needs.
SCRUM framework manages the development activities biweekly, 3 weeks or 4 weeks. This duration is called as Sprint. Usually it is not recommended to have more than 6 members or developers in a team.
Sprint is a duration of time where few backlogs are realized as tasks and completed by development team. Once the Sprint is completed these software changesets goes into release version of the application software.
Based on the need Sprint duration can be 2 or 3 or 4 weeks. But most of the Scrum experts suggest Biweekly sprints.
SCRUM and Meetings:
Scrum framework and few notable points:
- All requirements are consolidated as backlogs along with its descriptions and other details.
- Estimations of backlogs are done with the Poker Cards
- Poker cards are numbered in a Fibonacci order
- SCRUM is managed by Certified SCRUM Master or SCRUM Coach
- If Standups are not held with in 15 minutes, can be considered as limitation.
- Virtual Boards are considered over Physical boards, if members are in remote locations
SCRUM and Agile Supporting Tools:
- Microsoft Azure Boards
- Atlassian JIRA
- IBM - Rational Team Concert
- Geographically if team members are located in different places, Agile may not be effective